How to choose clothes for a dog?
When you go to the pet store, keep in mind that pet clothes are not just fun things and accessories for your dog. A properly selected set will protect the animal from wind, rain and dirt, and also warm in winter. Whether to buy overalls for a pet, the owner of the dog should decide, but there are breeds that simply need clothes in the cold season.
Which dogs need warm clothes?
- Smooth-haired dogs and breeds without undercoat. Long-haired pets and those who have a thick undercoat will definitely not freeze in winter. But short-haired dogs, such as French Bulldog, Jack Russell Terrier and even Doberman, will be happy with warm clothes;
- decorative breeds. The most obvious contenders for the role of mods are miniature decorative breeds. These include the Toy Terrier, Chihuahua, Yorkshire Terrier, Chinese Crested Dog, Italian Greyhound and many others. Due to their structure, they are sensitive to low temperatures. And if you go outside with them in winter, then only in warm clothes.
When choosing a set of clothes for a pet, remember the purpose of the purchase. For example, in autumn, active dogs get dirty easily, from head to toe. Therefore, in order not to bathe the animal every time after a walk, many owners prefer to wear overalls. In this case, you should not choose models with a lining – the pet will be too hot, it is better to give preference to a model made of raincoat fabric. For the winter, you can choose a warmed option.
How to choose the size of clothes?
It is best to buy clothes for your pet after trying them on – this way you can make sure that the size is correct and the dog is comfortable. If this is not possible (for example, you order clothes via the Internet), you should measure the main parameters of the dog:
- Back length. This is the most important parameter when determining the right size. Stand the dog straight and measure the distance from the withers to the beginning of the tail – this is the desired value.
- Neck girth. Measured at the widest part of the animal’s neck.
- Bust and waist. The chest is measured at its widest part. The waist circumference is the narrowest part of the pet’s abdomen. To make the dog feel comfortable in clothes, add about 5-7 cm to the resulting values. If the pet has long hair – about 10 cm, depending on its length.
- Paw length. Measured from chest and abdomen to wrist.
What to look for when choosing a jumpsuit?
Material quality. To check it, you need to squeeze the overalls a little and rub it. The fabric should not have strong creases, and it should not leave marks. Cheap dyes can shed and stain your pet’s coat. The top layer of the overalls should consist of waterproof material – this is especially important when choosing a raincoat and winter kit. Down and synthetic winterizer are often used as a heater.
Seams and threads. If you choose a raincoat, pay attention to the number of seams. The fewer of them, the better, because they get wet the fastest. Internal seams should not bulge. Otherwise, they can irritate the skin or damage the pet’s coat. In addition, it is important how even the stitches are and what the quality of the threads is, especially when choosing clothes for an active pet. It will be unpleasant if after the first walk you find seams that have come apart.
Accessories and decor. Some manufacturers offer overalls with a hood or make up sets with boots. When choosing such a model, remember the comfort of the dog. It is better to refuse clothes decorated with a lot of sequins, stones and ribbons. Most likely, these details will only interfere with the pet.
Clasps. If the dog has long hair, it is better to choose overalls with buttons or snaps so as not to pinch the hairs in the castle. Short-haired pets will suit any type of clasp.
When choosing clothes for a dog, you should first of all think about the comfort of the pet.
You should not make a toy out of it, because the main purpose of the suit is to protect the health of the animal.
October 5 2017
Updated: October 5, 2018