Characteristics of Caracat
|اصل جو ملڪ||روس|
|اون جو قسم||ننڍا وار|
|اوچائي||up to 50 cm at the withers|
|وزن||10 کان 15 ڪلو تائين|
|عمر||Since the breed is young, it is difficult to say the life expectancy. |
On average 11-18 years old.
- hybrid and rare breed;
- excellent physical shape, strong body, fast reaction;
- loves attention, runs wild from loneliness;
- high intelligence, well trained;
- behavior is similar to that of dogs.
The caracat cat looks like a real domestic lynx. And all because it is a hybrid of a real wild caracal (steppe lynx) and a domestic cat. The name of the breed comes from two words caracal + cat = caracat. After crossing a wild and domestic cat, a unique breed was obtained. Exotic appearance, graceful gait, huge expressive eyes of a wild lynx, and at the same time, the docile and friendly character of a domestic cat. No wonder this breed has so many fans. You can fall in love with her at first sight!
The breed appeared quite recently – only 30 years ago – and it happened by accident. In 1998, at the Moscow Zoo, a domestic cat snuck into the enclosure of a male caracal (steppe lynx). The zoo staff decided that the lynx would perceive it as prey and the cat would no longer survive. However, things turned out differently. The cat endured and gave birth to one kitten from the caracal, which looked very similar to a wild lynx and had obvious features of its exotic father: fluffy tassels on the ears, large soft paws and bright eyes with a dark outline. After this incident, no such experiments were carried out for several years.
Then, in 2005, in the USA, one felinologist tried to repeat the experience of the Moscow Zoo and crossed an Abyssinian cat with a caracal. As a result, kittens were born, but they could not have offspring. For several years, the American breeder received several individuals of caracats, and then ceased operations.
It was in Russia that they began to successfully breed karakets. Since 2007, Irina Nazarova, the owner of the Krasnodar nursery “KATALEYA”, has been conducting breeding work and seeking the development of the breed. At the moment it is one of the largest caracat nurseries in the world. The breeder regularly receives F1 and F2 kittens and works to improve the breed. She organized the first caracat exhibition. And yet the breed is rare. In total, there are about 70 individuals of the F1 type and 15 individuals of the F2 type in Russia.
There are several generations of caracats: F1 – has 50% lynx admixture, it is a direct descendant of caracal and domestic cat. F1 are the most valuable representatives of the breed, as they have the most pronounced appearance of a wild cat. The physique is large, wild habits appear. F2 – has 25% lynx admixture and is a descendant of F1 generation cats and a domestic cat. F3 – 16% of the wild breed genotype, mating of an F2 female with a domestic cat. These cats retain the appearance of a lynx, but not so obvious. The character is calm and gentle. F4 – 6% of the wild breed genotype, the result of crossing an F3 female with a domestic cat. These individuals have only some external features from the lynx, but their character is very calm.
Description of the caracat
These are animals with an exotic appearance, up to a meter in length and up to half a meter tall at the withers. Karakets have a strong, elongated and muscular body, strong and high paws with dark pads, a long neck, a convex, wide forehead. The lower jaw is well defined, and the eyes are almond-shaped, large and expressive, thanks to the dark eyelids. The nose is pinkish with a black or brown rim, a black “tear path”. The ears are large and long with dark tassels. This is the main feature of the breed. Coat color is of two types: brown with a red or chocolate sheen, and silver. On the chest and belly, the color is lighter. The coat is short, soft, shiny and dense, with a thick undercoat. The fur is considered hypoallergenic for humans and has no cat smell. Caracats can’t meow. They yelp more like dogs.
Despite their exotic roots, karakets are affectionate, intelligent, friendly and accommodating. They can easily be kept in an apartment if they are given physical activity. They get used to the daily routine and will not interfere with the owners at night. However, they do not like loneliness, they prefer to be with the owner, accompany him in household chores. They can be wary of strangers, protect the territory. However, they are not aggressive, but playful and curious. They have a highly developed hunting instinct, so they need long active games and walks on a leash. Also, caracets easily endure car trips and crossings. Cats of this breed get along with children and other animals and behave quite friendly, with the exception of birds and rodents.
- وائيWool does not need special care. During shedding, it is recommended to comb your pet with a rubber massage mitt or comb for short hair every day. At other times, the procedure can be carried out 1-2 times a week.Caracat cats are not afraid of water, on the contrary, they love water procedures and turn them into a game. Bathing should be done every 3 months.
- سيرIt is advisable to wipe the ears of the animal once every two weeks. First, remove dust and dirt with a dry cotton pad, and then soak a clean pad in warm water and wipe your ears again. Remember not to clean your ears with a cotton swab, as this can damage your ear canals and eardrum.
- پنجونThe pet will need to purchase a strong scratching post, as well as shorten the claws 2-3 times a month with a nail clipper. With proper upbringing, the cat will not scratch and spoil the furniture.
- اکيونDark plaque in the corners of the eyes should be regularly cleaned with a cotton pad dipped in a decoction of herbs or tea. For purulent discharge and tearing, contact your veterinarian.
حراست وٺڻ جا شرط
Do not forget that the caracat is primarily a large exotic animal. More money needs to be allocated for its maintenance than for an ordinary animal. And he deserves more attention.
- Organize space for active gamesA cat can live in an apartment with sufficient physical activity. Organize multi-level zones, equip them with toys without small parts and feathers. The more entertainment the cat has, the less likely it is that the furniture and things in your apartment will be damaged. After all, when a cat is bored, she will play with what she gets.
- قدرتي کاڌوKarakets cannot be fed with purchased dry food due to the characteristics of the stomach. Natural food suits them: low-fat fresh meat (chicken, turkey, beef, rabbit meat), low-fat fish, eggs, vegetables. Kittens up to two years old are given fermented milk products (cottage cheese, kefir, fermented baked milk). Small kittens can be given minced meat warmed to room temperature. Babies are fed three times a day, adults – 1-2 times a day. It is forbidden to feed the caracat with fatty food from the table, sweet, fried, salty and spicy. Do not give pork and boiled bones.Remember that cats of this breed eat more than other domestic cats. In terms of content, they are even compared with small dogs. The daily amount of food should be approximately 5-10% of the pet’s weight.
- Sustainable cat furniture and large toysCats of this breed need to purchase stable and massive houses and scratching posts. Otherwise, they will quickly fall into disrepair. We advise you to pay attention to furniture for Maine Coons. The cat will also need a large litter box, so take care of that too.
- Regular walks on a leashThese domestic lynxes are perfectly accustomed to a leash or harness and love to walk in the fresh air. A walk replaces their active game. For walks, there will be no extra treatment for ticks and fleas in the form of sprays, drops or a special collar.
- Lots of attention and communicationThese animals need to receive a lot of attention from the owner. They do not fit the schedule when a person is at home only in the morning and in the evening, because when the karakets are left alone, they run wild.
- Education from early childhoodKarakets are well trained, but they need to be educated from early childhood. From 3 months to accustom to a leash, scratching post, to communicate with people and other animals. You have to play a lot with kittens and accustom them to your schedule: we are awake during the day, we sleep at night. Then you will have a harmonious life with an exotic cat.
Caracats are expensive as they are quite difficult to breed. F1 generation kittens are highly valued, their cost varies from 1 to 3 million rubles. Kittens of generations F2, F3 and F4 cost from 500 thousand rubles.