നായ്ക്കളിൽ പ്രസവം: അടയാളങ്ങളും പ്രക്രിയയും
Pregnancy lasts from 55 to 72 days, depending on the breed of the dog and its individual characteristics. Veterinarians conditionally divide this time into three periods:
- The early period lasts from the beginning of pregnancy to the 20th day. At this time, the behavior of the dog practically does not change, however, some individuals may feel somewhat worse than usual: the animal may become lethargic and drowsy for a short time;
- From 20 to 45 days – a period of active growth and development of puppies. The dog’s belly is rounded, from day 21 pregnancy can be confirmed by ultrasound, and from day 25 by a blood test for the hormone relaxin;
- In the period from 45 to 62 days, the dog becomes less mobile, the volume of the abdomen increases rapidly, and in the supine position, pushing puppies are visible. At this time, it is not recommended to carry out long walks with a pet in order to avoid excessive stress on her body.
Owners of small breed dogs may notice the first signs of imminent whelping from about the 50th day, owners of large pets – from the 60th. At this time, it is worth agreeing with the veterinarian about the adoption of childbirth.
Signs of an upcoming birth:
- For 1-3 days, a colorless mucous liquid is released – the mucous plug is separated;
- The mammary glands swell, colostrum is secreted from the nipples, the areas around them become bald;
- 24 hours (maximum 48 hours) before the appearance of the first puppy, the dog’s body temperature drops to 36,5-37 degrees (norm: 37,5-39 depending on the breed), and this characterizes the onset of the first phase of labor;
- Uterine contractions begin – at first invisible, but reflected in the behavior of the dog: she “digs” the floor, requires affection, or, conversely, looks for a secluded place;
- Following the uterine contractions, attempts follow – contractions of the abdominal press;
- There is a complete lack of appetite or, conversely, it becomes elevated.
Immediately before childbirth, contractions occur, which can last from several hours to days. Initially, these are rare contractions of the uterus, which gradually become more frequent and painful. As soon as contractions become frequent, call your veterinarian.
Birth of puppies
Childbirth begins with the departure of amniotic fluid – the rupture of the water bladder. It can be gnawed by a dog, or it can burst itself. After some time, the first puppy appears.
Puppies are born in turn, the interval between their birth can be from 15 minutes to 1 hour. After each puppy, the placenta comes out – the membranes and the placenta.
It is necessary to carefully monitor the process of eating the afterbirth by a dog: veterinary specialists have not yet come to a consensus about its benefits. Do not let the animal eat more than 1-2 afterbirths, otherwise indigestion and vomiting will await her. Pay special attention to the afterbirth from the last puppy. If it is not removed within two days after birth, metritis, a severe infectious inflammation, may develop in the dog’s body.
Newborn puppies should not be immediately taken away from the dog, she must lick them. In addition, they must eat. Strong puppies pull themselves to the nipple, weak puppies will have to be directed.
Depending on the number of puppies, childbirth can last up to a day. And this is a real test for the dog’s body. It is at this time that the animal, more than ever, expects special support, affection and care from you. Try to take a couple of days off from work to care for your pet, and he will thank you with sincere love and warmth.
15 2017 ജൂൺ
അപ്ഡേറ്റ് ചെയ്തത്: ജൂലൈ 6, 2018