The dog drank water from the pool: what is the danger and should I worry

The dog drank water from the pool: what is the danger and should I worry

If the pet is a water lover, he will often spin around the pool. Can a dog swim and drink from the pool even in hot weather? Can chlorine harm her? And what should you do if your furry friend still strives to drink salty sea water from the pool on a hot day?

The dog drinks from the pool: is it possible

While swimming or playing in the pool, the dog will inevitably swallow some water. If the pool is cleaned according to the rules, the level of chlorine in it should be quite low. In this case, swallowing a small amount of water will not harm the dog. Problems will begin when the pet decides that the pool is a huge drinking bowl.

If a dog drinks chlorinated pool water to quench their thirst, it can cause gastrointestinal irritation, stomach discomfort and vomiting, as well as irritation and erosion of the esophagus, according to The Spruce Pets. Still, it’s not as dangerous as if a dog swallows untreated water that contains a lot of algae, bacteria, parasites, and other pathogens.

Therefore, it is best to keep plenty of fresh drinking water nearby and redirect the dog if he is about to drink from the pool.

If the pool is treated with chlorine shock, keep the animal away from the pool until all chemical levels are back to normal.

The dog drinks salt water: what to do if the pool is filled with sea water

Although saltwater pools contain less chlorine, some is usually still present and can cause gastrointestinal upset if consumed in large amounts.

But in this case, it is much more dangerous that the dog can swallow a large amount of sodium. Although sea water pools contain less sodium than sea water, excess sodium is harmful to the animal and can lead to salt water poisoning. As with chlorinated pools, swallowing a small amount while swimming won’t hurt your dog, but you shouldn’t let your dog drink seawater. Both at the pool and at the beach, keep fresh drinking water on hand in case your pet becomes thirsty.

According to the American Kennel Club, if a dog has drunk salt water, the worst thing that awaits him is diarrhea. However, its use in large quantities often leads to serious complications and poisoning, which can be fatal.

If a dog drinks water from the sea or pool abundantly, there is a risk of severe dehydration and electrolyte imbalance. This can lead to vomiting, seizures, brain damage, and kidney damage. Other clear signs of salt water poisoning include:

  • մկանների ցնցում;
  • թուլություն,
  • lethargy;
  • խառնաշփոթը.
  • strange behavior;
  • անտարբերություն

What to do if the dog drank water from the sea or pool plentifully

In most cases, if you notice that your pet is showing unexpected symptoms or behaving abnormally, you should contact your veterinarian immediately. 

If a dog is vomiting or showing signs of gastrointestinal upset after drinking seawater, a specialist should examine it for any other signs of distress. If the doctor determines that the symptoms are limited to indigestion, as part of the treatment plan, the doctor may recommend switching the animal to a highly digestible dog food formulated specifically to promote intestinal health for a few days.

You should not forbid your dog from enjoying the pool or splashing in the sea waves, but everything possible must be done so that he does not drink water from there. At least not more than a couple of sips. If your dog shows signs of illness or starts acting strangely, it’s always best to check with your veterinarian.

Տես նաեւ,

  • What treats to feed your dog?
  • Ինչպե՞ս շուն պահել դրսում:
  • Why is it important to clean up after your dog?
  • Life span of dogs

Թողնել գրառում